By Anita Manuel, Program Manager/Career Consultant
Welcome back Spartans! It’s an exciting time as we start a new school year. We know that you have a lot to manage when you return to campus, so I’d like to outline some easy career strategies that will help keep you organized and on track with your career goals.
GET SOCIAL & FIND YOUR NEXT GIG
How many times have you heard, “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know; or rather, WHO knows YOU?
We encourage you to meet new people, make new friends and have fun! (Just don’t post any embarrassing photos or inappropriate comments on Facebook. That can actually hurt your job search). You can absolutely translate your personal connections to professional connections. Be sure to create a LinkedIn account to build your “virtual resume” and list your professional accomplishments (this can include courses, class projects and awards). Invite the new people you meet through class projects and on-campus activities to your professional network. Also, don’t forget to get to know your professors and other mentors on campus. When it’s time to apply for internships, jobs or graduate programs, these connections can act as references and provide advice related to a specific industry or field or study.
As it relates to exploring future positions, take time to develop a list of the top 5 companies that you are most interested in working for. Start to follow these companies through social media. Most companies now share strategic information via Twitter, Facebook (fan pages), and LinkedIn profiles. A well prepared candidate, who has some inside knowledge of an organization, always makes a great impression.
USE KILLER APPS & SIMPLIFY YOUR SEARCH
Chances are that you cannot live without your iPhone or Blackberry. Regardless of what mobile device you use, more and more of us are organizing our lives with “killer apps” that help us get things done. You may use certain apps or sites to find restaurant reviews or movie times but there are also some great online tools that can help you manage your career as well. Here’s a list of our top 10 apps & online tools:
- SpartaJobs Search Agent (free tool only available to SJSU students and alumni). You can set up your job search agent to search for specific jobs or internships by major, field or specific employer. Once your search agent is saved you can set it up to run the search as often as you would like and email results directly to you. *Remember, employers who post on SpartaJobs are specifically interested in SJSU candidates.
- Webshops Can’t come to a live presentation? No problem! Our virtual workshops are thorough and cover various career topics from resume writing to job search tips. The best part is that you can watch them whenever you want (2am or at lunch, it’s up to you).
- Indeed.com (mobile app) This search site is considered one of the most robust and user friendly sites for job search and has both domestic and international postings.
- LinkedIn Mobile (mobile app)Easily add people that you meet to your network and conduct research on companies, professionals and groups on the go.
- TweetmyJobs Many job leads are now posted through Twitter. This app allows you to set up specific search criteria for Tweets that relate to jobs that match your interests and sends you updates via email or mobile updates.
- Jobs with Friends (social app)Allows you to link up your Facebook and LinkedIn contacts to see where they work and help you determine potential referrals for jobs or who in your personal network could help introduce you to new connections.
- ResumeBear (mobile app) If you ever wondered what happened to your resume once you submitted it, this app will help you find the answer. This mobile resume tracking service updates you on who viewed your resume and when.
- StudentFreelance.com Online job site for students seeking part-time or project based jobs (great for getting professional experience and building your resume)
- MyFirstJob.com Job site for students/new grads seeking internship and entry level positions
- BrazenCareerist.com Career site for Gen Y focused on career tips, resources and virtual job fairs targeted to new professionals in the marketplace.
MEET EMPLOYERS WITHOUT LEAVING CAMPUS
We know that you have busy schedules and that getting off campus to interview or meet with employers can be challenging—so we bring the employers to you. We will be hosting two on-campus job fairs this semester, numerous employer information sessions and on-campus interview programs to help you land your next job or internship.
Accounting/Finance Job & Internship Fair:
Thursday (9/12) 1:00-4:00 p.m. Student Union, Ballroom (Tower card or career center membership card required)
Fall 2013 Job & Internship Fair (@ Event Center)
Wednesday (10/2) noon-2:00 p.m.* (SJSU students & registered alumni with early bird pass only – Tower card or career center membership card required)
2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Open to all SJSU students & registered alumni – Tower card or career center membership card required)
Check out our event calendar for all workshops, info sessions and on campus activities.
I hope that these tips will help simplify your job and internship search process. If you ever get stuck along the way, don’t hesitate to visit us at the Career Center. Wishing you all a great semester and we look forward to helping you on your career journey!
Anita has been a career professional in higher education for the past 12 years. She is dedicated to helping clients create meaningful lives and provides advising on career related topics. She also specializes in development of creative programs to support career education.